We’ve all heard of the impending closure of Race City Motorsports Park … but what is not well known is that there is still one year of use still available. Also, there are a number of other venues and events for auto enthusiasts to participate in. Here is a list of racing organizations that are running events in 2009 and in many cases into the future. Check the links for schedules and rules for participation.
Of course at RALLYSPORT.CA we have equipment for racers in all forms of motorsports!
- Drag Racing: The Calgary Drag Racing Association (CDRA) has rented Race City for several events this year, including the annual Fathers Day event. Many drag racing participants also race in Medicine Hat, Edmonton and Mission Raceway, BC. Race City is also planning a full year of Secret Street Friday Night Drag Racing.
- Stock Car: The Calgary Oval Racing Association (CORA) was formed at the end of last year to organize and promote stock car racing in Calgary. They have the local classes of Hobby Stock, Mini Stock and Claimers as well as Super Motard motorcycles scheduled for 4 events at Race City. Continuing also are the ‘Touring Series’ including Legends Cars, IMCA Modifieds, ARCA West Late Models, and the Baby Grands.
- Road Racing: The Western Canada Motorsports Association (WCMA) and the Calgary Vintage Racing Club (CVRC) has a full summer of road course racing scheduled. Four events and a driving school at Race City organized by the Alberta Race Car Association (ARCA), 2 events in Edmonton at the Namao air base and events at Gimli Motorsports Park near Winnipeg. Also western Canadian road racers will likely be racing during the Edmonton Indy Race Weekend.
- Rallying: The Calgary Sports Car Club (CSCC) and Rally West Motorsports Association (RW) have a number of TSD (average speed) rally’s and Stage (high speed) rally’s scheduled in Alberta, mostly in the winter, spring and fall seasons. Feature event each year is the Rocky Mountain Rally, a Canadian Championship event.
- Solo Racing: Two types of solo racing will be active during 2009. Solosprint (also known as Solo 1) takes place as timed lapping on the road course at Race City. Autoslalom (Solo 2) takes place on a large open skid pad or parking lot with a course set up with traffic cones. The Calgary Sports Car Club (CSCC) organizes both types in Calgary, Penhold and Red Deer for 2009 and the Southern Alberta Solo Club (SASC) has a number of Autoslalom events scheduled in Lethbridge.
- Sprint Cars: Rocky Mountain Raceway Park (RMRP) is a dirt oval track in High River that hosts winged Sprint Cars as well as a number of stock car classes.
- Karting: The Calgary Kart Racing Club (CKRC) hosts a number of weekend events at their facility at the south end of Race City. Karting is very popular sport for young racers as well as more experienced karters.
- 4×4 Events: A number of Off Road clubs host annual events throughout Alberta, many as social outings, some more competitive.
- Drifting: Drifting is active in Alberta, particularly in Edmonton where they will be hosting a series of events in the 2009 Drift Mania Canadian Championship. More information can be found at Driftwest.
- Social Events: For those that are not that into racing but want to hang out with other car enthusiasts, there is over 50 car clubs in the Calgary area, all of which host cruises, shows and general get-togethers. Whether you have a 1920,s antique, 50’s classic or modern import you can find a group to be part of. Check the links on www.rallysport.ca to find your organization.
This should keep any motorhead busy for the coming month’s. If you have any other links to add, events to promote or other information, leave a comment below!